Nutella cake iced with shiny dark chocolate glaze, decorated with strawberries. This cake is a perfect birthday cake or will serve as a great teatime treat.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking time: 40 minutes, Serves 10-12
For the cake
150g Nutella (1¼ cups)
115g unsalted butter (½ cup)
80g sour cream (1/3 cup)
100g icing sugar (1 cup)
50g caster sugar (¼ cup)
200g all purpose flour (1½ cups)
50g ground hazelnuts (½ cup)
30g cocoa powder (2 tablespoons)
1 pinch salt
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling
100g Nutella (1 cup)
For the chocolate glaze
90g dark chocolate, chopped (3 oz)
125ml double cream (½ cup)
1. To make the Nutella cake, start by combining Nutella with butter in a heatproof bowl. Melt them together over bain-marie. Remove from heat and set aside.
To prepare the bain-marie pour 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. When the water is boiling, place the bowl over the saucepan, making sure that the bowl doesn’t touch the boiling water.
2. Mix the dry ingredients icing sugar, caster sugar, flour, ground hazelnuts, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Give them a quick mix with a whisk and set aside.
3. Using a handheld or stand mixer, mix the eggs with the sour cream and vanilla until frothy then pour in the melted butter and Nutella and keep mixing for one minute on medium speed. Stir in the dry ingredient mix slowly and mix until the batter is smooth.
4. Pour the batter into a 8″ round cake pan greased with butter. Bake the cake in the preheated oven at 180ºC (350ºF or gas mark 4) for 40 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick in the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done, but if it has traces of raw batter, keep baking a few more minutes and repeat the test with a clean toothpick.
5. When the cake is done, remove from the oven and let it cool down completely. Then carefully remove from the pan. To fill the cake, carefully slice it in half lengthwise with a long and sharp knife. Spread the Nutella on the bottom layer and top with the other half of the cake. Set aside.
6. To make the chocolate glaze, bring the heavy cream to the boil in a saucepan. Remove the saucepan from heat and pour the cream into a bowl. Stir in the dark chocolate and let it rest for 5 minutes. Mix well with a hand whisk until the glaze is smooth and has a nice shine.
7. Pour the chocolate glaze over the cake as evenly as possible and decorate with fresh strawberries or other fruits if you want. Serve the cake right away or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Enjoy your nutella cake.