These moist Pina Colada Cupcakes with chunks of rum soaked pineapple topped with boozy coconut cream cheese icing & toasted coconut will make a perfect addition to any summer party!!
Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 20 – 25 minutes, Makes: 16 Pina Colada cupcakes
350g plain flour (2½ cups )
250g sugar (1¼ cups )
125ml vegetable oil (l½ cup )
150g sour cream (2/3 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
150g pineapple cubes, soaked in white rum (1 cup)
Cream Cheese Icing
115g, butter, room temperature (½ cup)
230g cream cheese, chilled (8 oz)
460g icing sugar, sifted (4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
4 tablespoons white rum
- Soak the pineapple cubes in white rum, a few hours before baking. You can use fresh or canned pineapple cubes.
- Preheated your oven to 180ºC (350ºF- Gas mark 4) and line a cupcake pan with good quality cases.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside for use later.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs with the sugar for 5 to 7 minutes or until they have doubled their volume and the colour of the mixture changes to a pale yellow.
- Slowly pour in the oil, then add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- With the mixer on slow speed incorporate the flour a little at a time, increase the mixer speed to high for a minute towards the end of mixing process to smooth everything.
7. Drain the pineapple cubes and gently fold it into the batter. Use a spatula and try not to crush them.
8. Spoon the batter into the cases up to 2/3rd full. Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes or until they rise beautifully and turn golden brown. When they are done, let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese icing
9. In a mixer, whisk the butter until smooth and creamy, stir in cream cheese and mix well. Add vanilla and coconut extract. Now slowly incorporate few tablespoons of icing sugar at a time. Keep mixing until smooth.
10. Add white rum while mixer is on high-speed and mix for 5 minutes. The icing should be fluffy, creamy and fragrant.
11. Spoon the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe the frosting on each cupcake.
12. To decorate, sprinkle roasted shredded coconut or coconut flakes on the side of the iced cupcakes (optional). Garnish with a piece of cut pineapple and serve.
Hope you love these Pina Colada cupcakes.