One of the most common problems when baking cupcakes is the cases peeling off. To help avoid this, here is our list of top 8 tips to stop cupcake cases from peeling away.
- Always invest is good quality greaseproof cases. A good quality case will withstand the heat and moisture in the oven while baking and will not peel away when the cakes are cooling. Stronger the case, better the end result. Foil cases are the best – they also prevent the cakes from drying out keeping the cakes moist and fresh for longer.
- Choose a recipe with less fat content. Higher fat content makes the cases greasy and they wont stick to the cakes. Also cream the butter and sugar for longer before adding other ingredients so it is mixed well and the cases are less greasy when baked. Adding a tablespoon of milk to your batter can also help.
- Be sure to fill the cases enough, at least 2/3rd full. There needs to be enough batter or the cake wont stick to the case. Use an ice cream scoop to fill the case. Batter should be evenly spread out, tap the cupcake pan on the counter to let the batter settle. This will help the cakes cling to the cases when baked.
- Make sure your cases fits the pan. If the cases are bigger than the pan they will wrinkle and most likely come off later.
- Make sure the cupcakes are baked for a couple more minutes than you think they should. Under baking can also cause the cupcakes to shrink when cooling, causing the cases to peel away.
- Take the cupcakes out of the tin as soon as they come out of the oven. If you leave them in there to cool the cakes will sweat due to the moisture and the cases will peel.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before you store them. Always store at room temperature.
- Use cardboard boxes to store your cupcakes. Avoid storing them in plastic airtight containers or metal tins if the cupcakes are still warm, this might cause condensation and excess moisture might cause the cases to peel off.
Some of these tips worked for us, we hope you try these too. If you know of other ways to stop cupcake cases from peeling away and wish to share do leave us a comment below. We would love to know your experiences.